One of the biggest decisions you have to make, one that can have a huge impact on your success in your direct sales career, happens before you even sign up: choosing the right mentor!
Your mentor’s role is to help you navigate your new business, learn the how-tos, the how-comes and the what-nows. She should be able to train you on the ins and outs of the processes of your business; explaining commissions and bonuses, navigating your back office, entering orders, handling customer service issues, answering your policy and procedures questions.
She should also be able to help you with your own business development tactics; creating your own personal graphics, using social media properly to promote your business, sourcing vendor events,
Finally, she should be your cheerleader, believing in and encouraging you throughout your direct sales career!
Choosing the right mentor
As the CEO of your business, you need a mentor who is invested in you and who is compatible with you. When considering a mentor, ask her these questions:
- How long has she been with the company?
- What are her goals for her business?
- How often and what methods does she use for team communication?
- Why did she join the company?
- How much time does she devote to her business?
- What role does she play for her team?
Then ask yourself these questions:
- Is she local to me? If not, does it matter? Some people prefer to have a mentor that is in the same geographical location and others don’t. My team is spread across the country and we use social media to “meet”.
- Do her goals jive with my goals?
- Will she be accessible to me when I have questions?
- Am I comfortable with her level of experience? Do I believe she can answer any questions I may have? If not, will she help me find the answers I need?
- Can she help me be successful?
- Would I enjoy working with her?
Your mentor plays a crucial role in your new business, especially in the beginning, when you are learning an entirely new system. It’s in your best interest to do your homework and find the best mentor for you!
Let me know if you have any questions about Team Love, Laugh, Lockets or finding the right mentor for you.